Ways to repel mosquitos naturally – For those who would rather not get a mosquito bite in the first place.
- Burn citronella candles outside to keep them away from you while you enjoy the outdoors.
- Don’t wear dark clothing. It actually attracts mosquitos.
- Natural herbs and flowers repel them too, try rosemary, lemongrass, marigolds and garlic
- Eucalyptus and lemongrass essential oils in witch hazel. Put in a spray bottle. Apply to repel mosquitos
- Don’t use fruit scented shampoo
- Geranium, soybean and coconut oil works well but must be reapplied every 1.5 hours
The last two natural repellants listed above have been shown (by the New England Journal of Medicine and the USDA, respectively) to be more effective than DEET in repelling mosquitos.
If you do get bitten by a mosquito, here are some remedies you can try:
- If you have a lemon balm plant growing in your flower bed, remove a leaf and rip it in two pieces. Rub the pieces vigorously over the mosquito bite.
- Pack an ice pack against the bite for a few minutes.
- Press a used tea bag against the bites until the itching has subsided
- Tea tree essential oil helps alleviate the itch of mosquito bites. Lavender and peppermint oils also work.
- A paste made with baking soda and water applied to the mosquito bite
- Swab the bite with apple cider vinegar
- Tear off an Aloe Vera leaf and squeeze out the gel. Apply to the bite
- Crush peppermint leaves and apply to the mosquito bite
You can still use commercially prepared mosquito repellants and remedies if you wish, but many people are turning to natural remedies or ingredients they can use from home for convenience and to save money. They are also more environmentally friendly and often just as effective.
As the heat of summer is just around the corner, remind your elderly loved one to take special care to protect herself from dehydration and sunburn. The elderly person heats up quickly and their bodies can’t tolerate it as well as they used to. When you hire an in-home care provider, they are trained and know how to help your loved one get lots of fresh air without being out in the direct sun for too long. Her caregiver will also help her plan fun summer activities which will fight boredom and give her something to look forward to each day.
For more information about home care services in Clayton MO, contact Senior Services Unlimited. We are an elder care agency providing affordable and respectful home care to couples, veterans, and the disabled. Call (314) 646-8131.